Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Saturday, November 19, 2016

Recording Artist Jason Little: Doing His Part to Keep Soul In R&B Music

by Cyrus Webb

Many got to know recording artist Jason Little from Keith Sweat's R&B group Ol' Skool, but over the past few years he has been able to make his presence known as a solo artist able to do music that he believes in.

I've had the opportunity to converse with him on Conversations LIVE the radio show and in 2015 we sat down to tape an episode of Cyrus Webb Presents the web-series while I was in Atlanta. At the time he has just released his single LET ME KNOW.

Fast forward almost a year later and Jason has released his single called HEARTBREAK. For those who have heard the song it is definitely a departure from his usual music. "It was my writing partner Teah Harper's concept," he told me during a recent conversation. "By her knowing me over the years and knowing situations I've been through she had a lot of ideas for it."

If you heard LET ME KNOW where the song is wondering whether their significant other is cheating, then HEARTBREAK might be seen as the response to that. "I've been in that situation," Jason says. "I've been that guy where the female didn't return the love that I gave her. The song basically says the way you're doing me I hope someone does you the same way."



Influenced by artists like Charlie Wilson, Tyrese, Tank and Jagged Edge, Jason says their examples help him to be brave enough to be himself as an artist and not care what people think. "We live in an age where it seems unacceptable to be soulful," he told me. "I'm trying to do my part to preserve the soul of R&B."

The risks he seem to be taking in his career, though not easy, seem to be paying off. "It's very rewarding to be able to sing and touch people and to bring the realness to R&B music," Jason said to me in our interview. "Everything about music I love." That love definitely comes through, and that is why is fans continue to support him. Though he says its a challenge sometimes as an independent artist to break through, Jason is committed to staying true to the craft and himself as he gives all that he has to the fans through songs.


Get HEARTBREAK on Amazon here.

Stay connected with Jason on Twitter at www.twitter.com/iamjasonlittle and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TheRealJasonLittle. Catch up with other music by Jason on Souncloud at www.soundcloud.com/littlejsings.

*     Photos courtesy of Dream Photography/ConnectingYouto PR

No comments:

Post a Comment